Going to the mountains this season?
Research has shown that bear spray is even more effective than a gun in stopping bear attacks.
Mace Bear Pepper Spray is a safe, humane and effective way to protect yourself from possible bear attacks while hiking fishing, camping, and biking. The powerful magnum fogger delivers an extreme blast that reaches up to 35 feet!
Bear Mace Spray contains 2.0% capsaicinoid concentration. The powerful Magnum fogger contains 260 grams and empties in 6 seconds, delivering an extreme blast that reaches up to 35 feet!
Safety Data Sheet: Mace Bear Pepper Spray.pdf
Simply purchasing a can of bear spray isn’t enough to protect you, however.
- Formula: 10% OC Pepper Bear Safe Formula
- Dimensions: Approx. 9" x 2"
- Finger loop handle with safety clip
- Empties in 6 seconds
- Weight: 260 grams
- Range: Up to 35'
You must learn how to use it and then wear it in an accessible holster so you can grab it quickly. All bear sprays are most effective when sprayed directly into a bear’s face, giving it a real snoutful of the irritants, but sometimes just a whiff is enough to send a curious bear packing.
Be aware that the spray is not a bear repellent; spraying it around camp is more likely to attract bears than keep them away.
Here’s how to use bear spray in the field:
1. If a bear approaches, do not run. This may trigger a predatory response, causing the bear to start chasing you. This is a race you will not win. Try to remain calm.
2. Take the bear-spray canister from its holster and disable the safety.
3. Aim at the bear and slightly downward, adjusting for crosswind if necessary.
4. Spray a brief burst when the animal is 50 feet away.
5. If the bear keeps coming, give it another burst at 25 feet, making sure to aim directly for the face.
6. At 10 feet away, hit it directly in the eyes.
In most cases, you will not get to the final step, but rest assured that bear spray can stop even an aggressive grizzly that is practically on top of you.
Author and naturalist E. Donnall Thomas described one such incident that happened in Southeast Alaska: “An aggressive young brown bear had closed to within 10 or 12 feet, despite all the usual yelling, and a friend had a rifle trained on its snout,” Thomas told me. “As soon as the spray hit the bear, the animal turned inside out and galloped off down the river.”
Upon direct contact with eyes, respiratory system and mucous membranes, the active ingredients in the pepper spray will cause eyes to slam shut, coughing, and an intense burning sensation to the skin. Effects should lessen in approximately 45 minutes.
Strong Irritant. Keep out of reach of children. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate. Upon exposure, follow the first aid instructions that were included with your pepper spray.
Store your Pepper Spray in cool dry area away from heat, flame or strong light. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not store it in an environment where the temperature may exceed 120 degrees F (50 degrees C) such as an enclosed vehicle. The Pepper Spray cartridge may leak from over pressurization and fail to function properly. Do not store unit in a cold environment under 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). This may cause depressurization and the loss of effective range.
Pepper spray has a shelf life of 4 years from date of manufacture. Each pepper spray unit is labeled with an expiration date. After this date, the pepper spray cartridge should be disposed of in accordance with the environmental regulations in your area.
Before deciding to purchase a pepper spray, you should check with your local law enforcement department for specific laws on possession of, permissible uses of, and restrictions on pepper spray products in your city, county, or state. The following states have shipping restrictions on pepper spray:
States and Districts Where Pepper Sprays are Restricted:
- New York: Sold in pharmacies and by licensed firearms dealers. Animal sprays ordered online are legal.
- Massachusetts: Sold by licensed firearms dealers. Animal sprays ordered online are legal.
- Michigan: <35 grams per can, no stronger than 10% concentrate. No combinations.
- Wisconsin: Pepper spray only, no stronger than 10% concentrate. Safety features required. Weight allowed 15-60 grams.
- California: Weight restricted to 2.5 ounces (about 70 grams).
- Washington D.C.: You must register with the police for possession of pepper spray.
(including dog and bear sprays) can be legally shipped to and purchased from online retailers in ALL 48 contiguous states, including the restricted states listed above.