A classic, rugged matte finish complete with protection, durability, performance and comfort.
- Tough, through color, DuraGlas® fiberglass and high-temp resin composite resists cracking and chipping
- Perfect combination of durability and performance in a lightweight design
- Three-position, rear-ratchet height adjustment ensures a secure and comfortable fit
- Six-way overhead strap suspension system reduces shock transmission at the top of the helmet while providing a snug, comfortable fit
- NFPA-1971-2018 Compliant
Cairns 1044: All the design features and proven performance of the popular Cairns 1010 traditional Cairns helmet on which it was based. But the Cairns 1044 sports a rugged matte finish that echoes the quiet confidence of experience. Like the glossy 1010, the newer 1044 offers the proven protection and exceptional durability of Cairns’ DuraGlass fiberglass composite shell. The through-color composite resists chipping and cracking. And because its matte finish isn’t painted, everyday nicks and scratches are harder to see.
Lower profile. Superior balance. Cairns fire helmets have some of the lowest ride-heights in the market. Compare the crown clearance of the Cairns 1044 (or 1010), with its advanced thermal impact cap, to other traditional helmets. The distance from the inside of the Cairns 1044 shell to the suspension straps is less than 2-1/2 inches. Most competitive helmets, even those without an impact cap, are actually taller at more than 2-3/4 inches high.
The difference in balance and wear-ability are readily apparent, especially when worn for long periods under the stressful conditions they’re designed for. You can count on these classic, traditional helmets to look good, stay comfortable, and perform dependably—providing the protection you need—for many years of hard use.
FEATURES & BENEFITS:
- Cairns innovative Defender Visor with a scratch- and thermal-resistant, slightly tinted Tuffshield lens
- Tough, through color, DuraGlas® fiberglass and high-temp resin composite resists cracking and chipping and provides a perfect combination of durability and performance in a lightweight design.
- An engineered impact cap of high-temperature rigid urethane foam with an ABS inner liner. Provides advanced thermal, impact, and penetration protection. Designed to increase protection at the sides where it’s needed most.
- Cairns' six-way overhead strap suspension system reduces shock transmission at the top of the helmet while providing a snug, comfortable fit.
- Leather (Deluxe) cushion liner removable for washing and upgrading, provides greater ease and comfort.
- Soft black NOMEX chinstrap with one-hand quick release buckle and postman slide allows quick and easy adjustment.
- An exclusive SCBA interface front headband adjustment matches the fit of any SCBA mask
- Three-position, rear-ratchet height adjustment ensures a secure and comfortable fit, with or without SCBA gear, for all head sizes
- Jumbo earlaps and patented shell release increase neck coverage and protection, all allow easier maintenance.
- Larger diameter helmet hanger fits on larger hooks and racks.
- Insurance against Fireground damage with Cairns 5-year shell replacement warranty.
MSA's exclusive Defender Visor— Never lose or misplace your eye protection again. There’s no other NFPA compliant helmet eyewear as compact or as convenient. The MSA Defender Visor actually retracts into the helmet’s shell where it stays clean and instantly ready to deploy. Cairns’ unique design allows the visor to be raised and lowered in an instant, even with gloved hands. And don't be concerned about it slipping; the Defender stays securely stowed until YOU pull it down.
It’s optically correct lens eliminates peripheral distortion. Its sleek, close-fitting profile leaves nothing sticking out or hanging off the helmet to get caught on something in zero-visibility conditions or throw the helmet off balance. And maintenance is simple. The visor can be quickly disconnected from the helmet without tools, allowing fast lens changes, even during field use. Prepare for maximum efficiency.
A sleek, low-profile, NFPA-compliant goggle designed to fit comfortably over most prescription glasses. The high-temperature frame allows fast lens replacement. Patented Speed Clips make strap adjustments easy, even with gloves on. The snap-on/snap-off mounting system consists of simple low-profile posts on the sides of the helmet. Goggles can be used alone or with a faceshield. They can be stored on the front or back of the helmet, or quickly removed, as desired.
Bourke Eye Shield. Traditional styling with these clear bourke eyeshields. Bourke eyeshields exceed US-OSHA (CFR 1910) NBSIR-1977.
Note: Images shown are the old bourkes. NEW NFPA bourkes will ship on helmets ordered with bourkes.
Eye Protection Combinations (Defender Visor with Bourke eyesheild): NFPA-1971-2018 Compliant
Eye Protection Combinations (ESS Goggles with Bourke eyesheild): NFPA Compliant
4” Tuffshield® Visor. Although it costs you no more than the clear and smoke visor options, we at TheFireStore.com believe the Tuffshield visor offers distinct advantages. We supply it as the standard equipment visor on all Cairns Traditional and Deluxe Configuration helmets for some very good reasons: Tuffshield is significantly more heat resistant. The Tuffshield Defender visor is heat-resistant up to 500° F. Other visor materials will start to melt at about 345° Tuffshield is a heavier grade material with more impact resistance. As the name implies, it’s just tougher.
The slight yellowish tint helps you see better, day or night. Like a pair of amber shooting glasses, they filter out harsh wavelengths and glare, improving contrast and revealing more detail under all lighting conditions—including looking at flames. 4” amber Tuffshield visor is compliant with NFPA 1971, 2007 edition. All visors meet ANSI Z87.1+ impact requirements.
Standard Configuration Includes:
- Flannel Cushion Liner
- Black Nomex Earlaps
- 6" Silk Screened Maltese Cross Front Holder
- Leather Cushion Liner
- Flannel Crown Pad
- Tan PBI/Kevlar Earlaps
- 6" 3-D Carved Brass Eagle Front Holder
- Aluminized Bonnet with PBI/Kevlar Shroud
- Nomex Earlaps
- 6" Carved Eagle Front Holder
Ratings & Reviews
Best lid ""helmet"" on the market ,for price and durability. Id rather have a leather 5A, 6A but our insurance will not cover leather lids Stay safe Guys and Girls!
I love this lid. Its well built and will take a beating. My 1044 has been dropped, cooked and had a 35' ladder dropped on it and no problems structurally. The only problem I've had is I have the Defender Shield and it makes the helmet a little front heavy, so it has a tendency to fall down over a guys eyes. Although I like the Defender, if I get another, I will get the goggles instead. Brand new, the headband hurts your head but after a few fires and some sweat, no problems. I trust my noggin to cairns.
Most comfortable I've tried so far
Best overall helmet I've tried. Had a 660c before this, and while a bit lighter, the 1044 seems to be balanced better. Only had it for a month, so haven't had much action but so far so good.
"what brand and color paint do yall use for the yellow helmets?"
1st of all this helmet should not need to be painted, it is made of a Tough, through the color, DuraGlas fiberglass and high-temp resin composite resists cracking and chipping, painting this will have an impact your helmet warranty. Fibreglass Composite Sherwin Williams - Super Acrylic Spray Enamel Due to the lack of control over condition and methods used, MSA Cairns Helmets cannot guarantee the result of repainting helmets when performed in the field.
"difference in standard vs. deluxe?"
Dan this information is on the web page, I have copied and pasted it here for you; Standard Configuration Includes: Standard Flannel Cushion Liner Black Nomex Earlaps Silk Screened Maltese Cross Front Holder Deluxe Configuration Includes: Leather Cushion Liner Gold PBI/Kevlar Earlaps 3-D Carved Brass Eagle 6"" Front Holder
"I wear prescription glasses and prescription mask inserts when on the fire ground, does the MSA Defender visor leave enough room to wear these? If not, can the MSA Defender visor be made to prescription?"
Pat, 1st the Defender will not be able to come down when you have your SCBA mask on, 2nd you can not get this made into your prescription
"whats the difference between the Cairns:1044 and the Cairns:1010"
- Key difference: The color of the helmets are the same, except the 1010 comes in Orange, Blue, & Green also, and the 1044 doesn't. they weigh the same - 1010: painted high-luster finish - 1044: unpainted matte finish
"Is this helmet lighter then a 1010?"
Both helmets weigh 56oz each
"how much does the cairns 1044 weigh"
it weighs 56oz.
"i want to order the cairns 1010 yellow withe bourkes and visor defender but in nfpa! not in osha . but i dont have that option . can you made it the way i want it?"
There is only 1 way you can do this, 1st purchase the helmet with just the ""Defender"" eye protection, you will get your NFPA helmet with the NFPA sticker inside the helmet, at the same time also purchase the Bourke's kit, have everything shipped to you. Once you get everything you can attach the Bourke's yourself to your helmet, and everyone is none the wiser. Nothing coming out of MSA with Bourke's attached to a helmet will have a NFPA sticker.
Your question has been successfully submitted !
Please write your question before you submit !