Measure every environmental condition plus wind direction and automatic crosswind calculation.
Add in a vane mount and tripod and you have a complete, compact, portable weather station. The Kestrel 5000 Environmental Meter is a remarkably powerful measuring and data logging tool, yet remarkably compact. The Kestrel 5000 provides the same trusted accuracy, reliability, and usability as the original Kestrel 4000. Use it for research, safety, expeditions, agriculture and any other profession or activity where accurate on-the-spot conditions monitoring is key.
- Used in firefighting, agriculture, hazardous materials response, meteorology, military, law enforcement, research, education, scientific & mountaineering expeditions and more.
- Handheld, portable environmental meter with onboard data logging and graphing.
- Measures wind speed / air speed, temperature, humidity and pressure and displays over 10 total environmental parameters on large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display.
- Optional LiNK connectivity powered by Bluetooth Smart® provides wireless communication to mobile devices and computers.
- Rugged (drop tested to MIL-STD-810G standards), waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards) and floats.
- Protective pouch, neck lanyard and Lithium AA battery included.
- 5-year warranty.
The new Kestrel 5 Series platform adds many new features and options. If you’re familiar with the Kestrel 4500, the first thing you’ll notice is the larger, higher-resolution and contrast display and improved font readability. The Kestrel 5 series also includes a built-in dual color backlight, extra-strong polycarbonate lens and AA battery operation and offers optional LiNK iOS and Android wireless connectivity and app support. Like all Kestrel meters, the Kestrel 5000 is drop-proof, dust-proof, waterproof and able to withstand harsh environments without damage – so it can travel with you anywhere you dare to go. A range of carry pouch options makes it even easier to take your Kestrel meter with you.
In addition to measuring the current environmental conditions, the Kestrel 5000 tracks and logs over 10,000 sets of time-stamped data. Your data log can be transferred to a mobile device wirelessly, or to a PC/MAC with either the optional Kestrel LiNK Dongle or waterproof USB Data Transfer Cable (Both sold separately).
The true versatility of the Kestrel 5000 becomes apparent with the addition of the Kestrel Vane Mount. This precision-engineered accessory securely mounts the Kestrel 5000 to any tripod or other ¼-20 fitted bracket. Once mounted, the Kestrel 5500 becomes an independent monitoring station, as the large wind vane and precision pivot keep the Kestrel oriented into the wind for continuous measurement and logging of wind speed and all other key weather parameters. The Kestrel LiNK app (iOS and Android) also displays the Kestrel’s real-time readings on a vivid, customizable mobile device dashboard by providing a remote display that functions up to 100’ away (line of sight). The Kestrel 5000 meter can also be stored and carried in the Vane Mount belt pouch. The entire kit weighs just 10.5 ounces / 295 grams and is just 2.5 x 3 x 8.5 inches / 6.5 x 7.5 x 22 cm in size.
Kestrels have been put to the test in some of the harshest conditions on the planet. U.S. Special Forces, combat weather teams, wildland firefighters, smoke jumpers, Mt. Everest expeditions and auto pit crews are just a few who rely on a Kestrel to provide them with the crucial environmental data they need. Watch any on-screen meteorologist during a hurricane, and you’re sure to spot a Kestrel in action. Researchers have relied on Kestrel’s accuracy and portability for nearly 20 years, and you’ll find Kestrel referenced in many a peer-reviewed journal article. If environmental conditions are important in your profession or favorite activity, there is no better partner than a Kestrel 5000.
- Kestrel LiNK for mobile: Android and iOS apps put crucial information at your fingertips with real time remote data viewing on phones and tablets up to 100' away. Kestrel LiNK also provides easy data export, threshold alerts and simple firmware updates.
- LiNK wireless connectivity powered by Bluetooth Smart: Robust connectivity to both iOS and Android mobile devices as well as Windows and MAC computers. (Computers require optional Kestrel USB Dongle)
- USB Data Transfer Cable: Low profile, lightweight, waterproof cable provides wired connectivity to Windows and MAC computers for fast data uploads and firmware updates. Compatible with every model in the Kestrel 5 series.
- Sleek, rugged tripod vane mount: Small, secure, robust, vane mount turns any Kestrel 5 series meter into a portable weather station that remains oriented into the wind. (Included in some models where noted, otherwise sold accessory)
- Large high contrast screen: Easily readable text in almost any setting, including bright sunlight, with more visible information on the screen at all times. This high resolution display is easy on the eyes, allowing you to get more information from customizable user screens, charting and graphing options without causing eye strain or fatigue.
- Dual color backlight: Toggle backlight color between standard white and night-vision-preserving red (NV). The red NV backlight features an optical wavelength selected to help users sustain natural night vision and reduced brightness to avoid detection during night maneuvers.
- Secure battery door: Large O-ring sealed door provides easy, tool-free battery access.
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window: Rigid, polycarbonate lens with scratch-coating protects the display from damage.
- Corrosion-resistant battery compartment: Battery in isolated from electronics, reducing damage in the event of a battery leak. (Note: Lithium AA batteries recommended to avoid battery leakage altogether.)
- Intuitive user-interface: Icon-based navigation, intuitive keypad, and multiple languages make the Kestrel a breeze to use.